SPF lip balm is an important part of a sun protection routine. SPF stands for “sun protection factor” and indicates the level of protection, or UVB rays that are blocked by the sunscreen. While many of us are good about covering our skin with sunscreen or sunblock, we often forget our sensitive lips, which are also susceptible to sunburns!
To avoid this problem, we suggest wearing SPF lip balms which can provide SPF coverage on your lips. Plus, SPF lip balms also relieve dry, chapped lips with moisturizer, allowing them to pull double duty.
What to Look For in an SPF Lip Balm
- UPF Rating. SPF lip balms offer solid sun protection, but just as with sunscreen, SPF does matter. Look for an SPF lip balm with a rating of at least SPF30, if possible. The same rules applying to both sunscreen and SPF lip balms regarding how often you need to reapply to mantain protection, so don’t forget to balm up every few hours!
- Lip Balm Type. Lip balms can come in several different types, from a balm stick you rub on your lips, to a tube of balm ointment you squeeze out of the container. Choose a balm style that works best for your needs. For example, stick-style balms tend to get deformed and melted in the heat, whereas tube-style balms can survive well in a variety of temperatures. Plus, ointment balms tend to absorb into your lips more quickly.
- Water Resistance. If you’ll be drinking or swimming a lot, you may want to opt for a lip balm that provides water resistance.
- Flavor. Many SPF lip balms come in several different flavors, so choose a flavor that appeals to you!
- Fragrance. Many SPF lip balms also have added fragrances. If you are sensitive to scents, opt for a formula with no added fragrance.
- Moisturizing Properties. All lip balms listed here provide sun protection as well as moisturizing relief for dry lips. However, some formulas are stronger and specifically designed to ease extremely cracked and dry lips.
- Value Pack. Consider if you want to purchase a stand-alone tube of lip balm or a pack – many of the options below come in packs of two or three for better value.
Best SPF Lip Balms
Sun Bum SPF 30 Variety Pack
Sun Bum’s SPF 30 lip balm is an 30 SPF-rated, transparent, and light protection for lips that’s kissed with a hint of flavor. This item features a three-pack, with 3 tropical flavors (coconut, banana, and watermelon) that fit perfectly for any beach day!
The sunscreen lip balm includes aloe and vitamin E for additional hydration that works to protect as well as heal and moisturize your lips.
Sun Bum’s SPF Lip Valm is hypoallergenic, gluten-free, cruelty-free, and paraben-free!
Aquaphor Lip Protectant and Sunscreen Ointment
Aquaphor Lip Protectant and Sunscreen Ointment is an ointment-style lip balm formulated with nourishing vitamins and shea butter to help keep your lips soft and supple, even in the heat of summer!
Aquaphor’s Lip Protectant is specifically formulated for sensitive lips, which is why it’s preservative and fragrance-free. It’s designed to relieve dry, cracked lips while providing SPF 30 protection to guard your lips against UVA/UVB rays and the damaging effects of the sun.
Since it’s in an ointment form, you won’t have to worry about the balm melting and making a mess – always an added plus when you’re spending the day at the beach!
Burt’s Bees 100% Natural All-Weather SPF15 Moisturizing Lip Balm
Burt’s Bees 100% Natural All-Weather SPF15 Moisturizing Lip Balm is a two-pack broad-spectrum lip balm infused with zinc oxide to provide all the benefits and protection of sunscreen.
Despite being infused with zinc oxide with moisturizing properties, this lip balm doesn’t leave a white residue, so don’t worry about looking like a clown!
Made of 100% natural ingredients, this lip balm is paraben, phthalate, and petrolatum-free. This lip balm stick is even water-resistant for up to 40 minutes, so you can get full lip protection even when taking a swim.
Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm
Jack Black’s Intense Therapy Lip Balm is a premium dermatologist-tested lip balm ointment that offers lip protection against sun and wind. The emollient balm features an SPF 25 rating with broad-spectrum UVA and UVB protection via the inclusion of avobenzone and octinoxate.
In addition, it also provides lip conditioning and relief from dry lips through its petroleum, shea butter, and avocado oil. It also boasts vitamin E and green tea for added antioxidants and anti-inflammatory aid.
Earth-conscience consumers will appreciate that every Jack Black product is paraben and cruelty-free, plus most are also USA-made and vegan.
Banana Boat Sunscreen Lip Balm Broad Spectrum SPF 45
Banana Boat Sunscreen Lip Balm is a water-resistant, broad-spectrum sunscreen lip balm that blocks UVA and UVB rays with an impressive SPF 45 rating (the highest we’ve seen for lip balm).
It contains aloe vera and Vitamin E to help keep your lips moisturized, providing sun protection as well as relief from chapped lips. This lip sun protectant is also water-resistant for up to 80 minutes, so you can hop in and out of the waves without worry!
Supergoop! PLAY Lip Balm with Acai
Supergoop! PLAY Lip Balm with Acai SPF 30 is a lightweight, sweat and water-resistant formula that glides on to protect your lips from the sun’s harmful rays. With an SPF 30 rating, this balm absorbs both UVA and UVB rays while also providing great hydration through its shea butter, antioxidant-rich honey, and sunflower seed oil which softens and smooths dry skin.
With its easy-to-use twist cap, you can reapply this tasty acai-flavored lip balm throughout the day without struggle. Plus, this lip balm is reef-friendly, made without oxybenzone or octinoxate.
O’Keeffe’s Lip Repair SPF 35 Lip Balm
O’Keefe’s Lip Repair SPF 35 Lip Balm is a powerful, yet lightweight lip balm that heals, relieves, and repairs extremely dry, cracked lips.
This fast-absorbing lip balm stick formula provides instant relief and all-day protection through its SPF 35 rating. This lip balm provides 80 minutes of water resistance to protect your lips, even while you eat drink or swim. The matte finish leaves your lips feeling soft and smooth with no greasy residue.
Plus, this lip repair formula comes in several pack options, from a single pack to a two or three-pack option too!
Lips often go overlooked, but it’s important to take care to protect your lips from sun damage, just as you would for the rest of your body.
These SPF lip balms should give you peace of mind knowing that your lips will be protected against UVA/UVB radiation throughout the day, whether running errands or playing the beach bum!
Which of these is your favorite SPF lip balm? Let us know in the comments!