Sunscreen is an essential part of many peoples daily routine. But some men struggle with finding the right sunscreen.
After all, many sunscreens are marketed more towards women. However, men need to protect their skin from harmful UV rays just as much as women do. The sun damages men and women alike, and an ounce of protection can go a long way towards keeping your skin healthy and preventing deadly skin cancer.
The key to finding the best sunscreen for men is understanding what types of sunscreens work best for their specific needs; this article will dive into what factors men usually consider when choosing a sunscreen. We’ll also recommend a few of our favorite guy-geared sunscreen picks below!
How to Choose a Sunscreen for Men
- Good SPF Rating. It’s essential that men look for a sunscreen that has an SPF rating of 30 or higher. Anything less just won’t cut it in terms of solid sun protection!
- Broad Spectrum Protection. Sunscreens that list “broad spectrum” on their labels provide protection from both UVA and UVB rays, whereas those that merely claim to be UVB-blocking only protect the skin from sunburn and some cancer-causing effects of too much sunlight (still letting in the UVA rays responsible for premature aging, wrinkles, and some cancers as well).
- Active Ingredients. Zinc oxide is considered by many experts as the best ingredient to use in a sunscreen, as it’s the most effective against both UVA and UVB rays and is a mineral ingredient that doesn’t irritate the skin. However, some chemical ingredients may blend better and can have less of a white cast.
- Waterproof or Sweat Resistant. Most guys will want a sunscreen that’s water-resistant and sweat-resistant, as sweating off sunscreen before it has a chance to do its job can lead to severe sunburns. This is even more important if you’re looking for a sunscreen to use for surfing or some other active sport.
- Fragrance-Free. Most men will likely prefer sunscreens that are fragrance-free.
- No White Cast. Most men don’t want a sunscreen that leaves them looking like a ghost! Look for sunscreens that boast invisible or sheer coverage (increasingly even more zinc oxide mineral sunscreens are able to have little to no white cast).
- Non-Cosmogenic. Non-cosmogenic sunscreen won’t clog pores, helping reduce a guy’s risk for increased breakouts due to irritated skin. No one likes a face full of acne!
The Best Sunscreen for Men: Our Favorites!
1. EltaMD UV Clear Facial Sunscreen Broad-Spectrum SPF 46
EltaMD UV Clear Facial Sunscreen Broad-Spectrum SPF 46 is a great option for men to consider for their daily sunscreen if they have sensitive skin that’s prone to irritation.
This nifty little tube of goodness is loaded with benefits, including being fragrance-free and gentle on skin. It’s also a good sunscreen for acne-prone skin, as it’s recommended by dermatologists and contains zinc oxide as the active ingredient (it also contains octinoxate, so it’s not a 100% mineral sunscreen).
2. Blue Lizard Sensitive Mineral Sunscreen
The Blue Lizard Sensitive Mineral Sunscreen is one of the best physical mineral sunscreens for men. With a non-greasy feel and an SPF 30 rating, the sunscreen is perfect for daily use.
This product contains zinc oxide and titanium dioxide to block both UVA and UVB rays. It contains no chemical ingredients, so it’s gentle on sensitive skin and shouldn’t clog pores or exacerbate acne.
Another thing we like about this sunscreen is that it’s water resistant up to 40 minutes, so it works for beach days too. There are also other Blue Lizard variations we like for other activities – for example, the Blue Lizard Sport formula is one of our favorite sunscreens for golfers.
3. Zinka Face Sunscreen Stick
Zinka Face Sunscreen Stick is a great option for guys who are always on the go and want a sunscreen that’s fast and easy to apply in a snap!
We love how easy this stick-based sunscreen goes on (it works similar to a deodorant stick). Fans love that it stays clear, and the lack of any greasy messes left behind. It’s also a great sunscreen for bald heads, as it goes on quick and easy without making a mess.
It contains 5% zinc oxide–a tough sunscreen ingredient that provides protection against both UVA rays and UVB rays, making it ideal for long days in the sun. Combine this with its water resistant properties and you have an excellent every day summer sunscreen stick!
4. Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen
Supergoop! Unseen sunscreen is a favorite of men and women alike who need sun protection. Supergoop’s SPF 40 protects your skin from harmful rays with broad spectrum protection.
It’s weightless formula glides on really easily, is very hydrating thanks to the medowfoam seed extract. Plus, it’s reportedly really good at controlling shine as well, and doesn’t slide away when sweat starts.
Oil-free and fragrance-free, it’s a safe sunscreen for sensitive skin and is oxybenzone- and octinoxate-free.
Supergoop specifically notes that men really love this formula, highlighting that it’s beard-friendly too!
5. Sun Bum Original SPF 50 Sunscreen
The Sun Bum Original SPF 50 Sunscreen is another guy-favored sunscreen. It’s gentle and non-comedogenic, so it won’t clog your pores. Plus, it’s been dermatologist-approved!
This Sun Bum sunscreen has an SPF of 50 and offers broad spectrum protection. It also doesn’t leave any white cast or greasy residue on your skin. Plus, it’s reef safe and vegan, which is why surfer dudes tend to love this one!
It also works great for body or face use, so you don’t need to mess about with different types of sunblock. We know guys don’t like to be fussy, so this one-and-done sunscreen is an obvious pick!
6. Coppertone Sport Continuous Sunscreen Spray
Coppertone Sport Continuous Sunscreen Spray is the perfect option for active men who are looking for an easy to use, no-mess way to keep their skin protected.
With the ability to apply a continuous spray at any angle, you can easily cover your whole body with this handy sunscreen spray (if you’re flexible enough, you can probably even spray this sunscreen onto your back yourself without issue). That being said, it might be too thick and greasy for your face.
Providing 80 minutes of water and sweat resistance, this sunblock will make sure every inch of skin stays safe from UV damage. It even contains moisturizers and vitamin E which helps maintain your skin’s natural antioxidant protection.
Some men may think that dedication to skin care isn’t manly, but nothing could be further from the truth. There is nothing masculine or sexy about fried skin and cancer! Men need to protect their skin from the sun just as much as women do.
We hope this list of top sunscreens for men has proven useful. Anything we missed? Let us know in the comments!